Choosing Wisely is an initiative of the American Board of Internal Medicine (ABIM) Foundation. According to its website, the Choosing Wisely Initiative aims to promote conversations between clinicians and patients by helping patients choose care that is:
- Supported by evidence
- Not duplicative of other tests or procedures already received
- Free from harm
- Truly necessary
Lehigh Valley Physician Hospital Organization (LVPHO)/Valley Preferred endorses Choosing Wisely and encourages physicians and clinicians to talk about the intiative with their patients.
To accomplish this, the Choosing Wisely website offers lists of “Things Providers and Patients Should Question,” representing recommendations from leading medical specialty societies. Free materials are available for distribution to patients. Also, Choosing Wisely TLC Learning Modules* (on The Learning Curve (TLC), see below for access) and video resources (below) are available to help health care providers engage patients in the conversation.
Videos now available at Ask-Five.com!
A new resource for your patients, Ask-Five.com is a microsite developed by the LVPHO based on Choosing Wisely® recommendations. It offers a simple tool to help educate patients on what tests and procedures are right for them and what questions they should ask their provider.
The topics highlighted on Ask-Five.com will align with the provider education modules on TLC, which are offered to LVPHO physicians as opportunities to review evidence-based medicine, earn AMA PRA Category Credit, qualify for Patient Safety/Risk Management CME, and maximize ACE reward potential. (For TLC access instructions, click here.)
Additional points of note:
- The first set of Ask Five videos listed on the website are about proper use/prescribing of antibiotics, featuring Timothy Friel, MD, Chair of the Department of Medicine at Lehigh Valley Health Network.
- A consumer marketing campaign promoting the antibiotics videos will be running from November 2017 through January 2018.
- The next set will focus on the Spine Care Pathway.
- To increase awareness about Choosing Wisely, LVPHO-branded materials are available for your practice. If you would like to receive printed copies, please contact Tyler Pace at
610-969-0013 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please help your patients learn about Choosing Wisely by encouraging them to visit Ask-Five.com.
To learn more about the LVPHO's Choosing Wisely activities, contact a Physician Advocacy Liaison:
Wayne T. Stephens, Physician Advocacy Liaison, LVPHO/Valley Preferred
Joe Candio, Jr., Physician Advocacy Liaison, LVPHO/Valley Preferred
Michael Makela, Physician Advocacy Liaison, LVPHO/Valley Preferred