Choosing Wisely is an initiative of the American Board of Internal Medicine (ABIM) Foundation. According to its website, the Choosing Wisely Initiative aims to promote conversations between clinicians and patients by helping patients choose care that is:
- Supported by evidence
- Not duplicative of other tests or procedures already received
- Free from harm
- Truly necessary
Valley Preferred endorses Choosing Wisely and encourages physicians and clinicians to talk about the intiative with their patients.
To accomplish this, the Choosing Wisely website offers lists of “Things Providers and Patients Should Question,” representing recommendations from leading medical specialty societies. Free materials are available for distribution to patients. Also, Choosing Wisely TLC Learning Modules* (on The Learning Curve (TLC), see below for access) and video resources (below) are available to help health care providers engage patients in the conversation.
Videos now available at Ask-Five.com!
Ask-Five.com is a microsite developed by the Valley Preferred based on Choosing Wisely® recommendations. It offers a simple tool to help educate patients on what tests and procedures are right for them and what questions they should ask their provider.
Some topics highlighted on Ask-Five.com will align with the provider education modules on TLC, which are offered to Valley Preferred physicians as opportunities to review evidence-based medicine, earn AMA PRA Category Credit, qualify for Patient Safety/Risk Management CME, and maximize ACE reward potential. (For TLC access instructions, click here.)
Please take advantage of these great resources:
- Our series of Ask Five videos about proper use/prescribing of antibiotics, featuring Timothy Friel, MD, Chair of the Department of Medicine at Lehigh Valley Health Network.
- Our series of Ask Five videos, featuring Gary Tarola, DC, Chief of LVPG Chiropractic Medicine, and Chirag Kalola, MD, focusing on back pain and whether or not magnetic resonance imaging is needed.
- Choosing Wisely materials are available for your practice. To receive printed copies, contact Tyler Pace at 610-969-0013 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Download a PDF of the brochure on antibiotics.
- Download a PDF of the brochure on low back pain.
Please help your patients learn about Choosing Wisely by encouraging them to visit Ask-Five.com.
To learn more about the Choosing Wisely activities, contact a Physician Advocacy Liaison:
Wayne T. Stephens, Physician Advocacy Liaison, Valley Preferred
Joe Candio, Jr., Physician Advocacy Liaison, Valley Preferred
Michael Makela, Physician Advocacy Liaison, Valley Preferred